Monday, April 16, 2012

Ab(r)andon Inge Roundtable #2

Editors Note: I aplogize for my lack of posting the last several days.  I've been incredibly busy with school and baseball.  Not to worry, I have returned.  Also, this post was done last week Tuesday, I just haven't been able to post it.

Ab(r)andon Inge Roundtable #2: Who will be the Tiger's breakout performer in 2012?

Brian:
I've got to go with Rick Porcello.  After 3 years of seasoning in the majors, figuring out what works, what doesn't work, etc; and spending 3 full years with a major league pitching coach, I feel like he definitely will break out this year.  He's got all the stuff to be a very good #3 or solid #2 in the majors.  His 2 seam fastball (sinker), when working, can absolutely dominate hitters.  When the velocity on it is up (91-93) rather than down (88-90), you see a lot more late life and distinctly more "bite" on the pitch.  He has improved his breaking stuff tremendously, and his changeup is working it's way up towards being a quality pitch.  Porcello has my vote

Phil:
My pick for breakthrough Tigers player this year is Daniel Schlereth. After having a couple of ho-hum seasons to start off his career here in Detroit, I think this is the year that he puts it together and becomes more than just a situational lefty out of the bullpen. His K/BB ratio is a pedestrian 1.55/1 during his major league career. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that this is the year where he: A) Learns how to throw strikes consistently and B) Makes sure those strikes don't end up in the outfield bleachers.
(Ed: Phil is a moron)
Frank:
I’m going to go with Rick Porcello. Brian said in an earlier post that Porcello would have a great year and cement himself as the number 3 starter. I happen to agree 100% with him. The main reason is the fact that in years past, Porcello had started slow, but toward the end of the season he got a lot better. I remember hearing Dan Dickerson and Jim Price (the radio announcers for the Tigers) talking about Porcello start working on his pitching earlier in spring training than he had in the past, putting him more in midseason form when he started against the Rays on Tuesday.

Ryan:
My pick for the Tigers Breakout performer of the 2012 season is Austin Jackson.  I know we’re only 3 games into the series but I was thoroughly impressed with his improvement at the plate.  Even though he struck out twice in the series, he still provided some clutch moments, in the walk off single on opening day, as well as getting on base for Cabrera to drive in the tying home run in the bottom of the 9th.  While I don’t predict ridiculous stats, his success should help the Tigers win a few more games and improve the numbers of Cabrera/Fielder.  Since he will be on base they will be in more RBI opportunities, hopefully leading to more Tigers runs, as evidenced by their 26 run outburst this weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment